Passports Visas and Health Requirements

Passport, Visas & Health Req's

Here's everything you'll need to know

Everyone travelling including children and infants needs a passport valid for at least six months after your return date. It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet all entry visa/documentation requirements and comply with health formalities required for your holiday.

It’s best to check the up-to-date requirements with your travel agent, embassy or consulate as appropriate. It’s very important to remember this because guests who are denied boarding by local immigration officials for lack of proper documents are not entitled to a cruise refund.


A full British passport currently takes approximately two to six weeks to obtain. If you or any member of your party hasn’t yet got a passport, our recommendation is that you should apply for one at least six weeks before your holiday. The UK Passport Service has to confirm your identity before issuing your first passport and will ask you to attend an interview in order to do this.

If you or any member of your party is not a British citizen or holds a non-British passport, you must check passport and visa requirements with the Embassy or Consulate of the country/countries to or through which you are intending to travel. Requirements may change and you must check the up to date position in good time before departure.

Entry requirements for the USA & Canada

All visitors to the United States (U.S.) (including children) who are eligible for the Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) must apply for authorisation to travel to the U.S. in advance in accordance with the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA).

You must complete an online application for authorisation to travel on the ESTA website at least 72 hours before your flight or sailing to the U.S. departs but you are recommended to apply earlier. Providing the application is accepted, you will be provided with approval via the website. Approval is usually provided very quickly but can take up to 72 hours if data needs to be checked. You should make a note of the ESTA approval number when you receive it.

It is your responsibility to obtain ESTA approval or a U.S. visa if required. If you fail to obtain authorisation to travel through the ESTA website or a U.S. visa in advance of travel, you will not be allowed on your outbound flight or sailing to the U.S. Full cancellation charges will then apply.

For transatlantic crossings, we strongly advise guests to print out their ESTA before travelling, as this is a requirement at check-in before you can board the ship. It is vital that you ensure you have the correct documentation before arriving in the United States to avoid being refused entry.

Important note
Not all visitors to the U.S. will qualify for the ESTA. You cannot apply for the ESTA and will require a visa if you do not have a machine readable passport. All burgundy coloured UK passports are machine readable. You will also need to apply for a visa if you have ever been arrested (even if you were not convicted of an offence) or have a criminal record of any description. Other exemptions also apply. If you are in any doubt as to whether you may require a visa, please contact the U.S. Embassy, Consular Information Unit, 24 Grosvenor Square, London W1A 1AE or visit the website before making your booking with us. Visa requirements may change.

Similarly to the US Visa Waiver Program, from March 15, 2016, Canada requires visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or via Canada to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to travel. For further information please visit

As of April 1, 2016, all travelers must have an e-passport to use the VWP.  An e-Passport, denoted by the symbol  , is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. E-Passports are issued by the proper passport issuing authority and must meet international standards for securing and storing information corresponding to the passport and bearer.   More information can be found on

Advance Passenger Information

For security reasons, many countries now require airlines to provide information about their passengers before they fly. You must therefore provide us with the full name (as it appears on your passport), date of birth, gender, passport details and redress number (if applicable) of all guests on your booking when asked to do so. You will not be allowed to travel and cancellation charges will apply if you do not comply with any such request. Click here for more information.

St. Petersburg
If you are travelling to St. Petersburg on one of our organised shore excursions we will obtain a visa on your behalf. If you wish to go ashore in Russia independently, you will be responsible for obtaining an individual tourist visa before you leave the UK.

Health Requirements

It is your responsibility to ensure you are aware of all recommended vaccinations and health precautions in good time before departure. Information on health can be found in the Department of Health leaflet T7 (Health Advice for Travellers) available from the Department of Health via and from most Post Offices. For holidays in the EU/EEA you should obtain an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) before departure from the Department of Health (see leaflet T7 and Vaccination and other health requirements/recommendations are subject to change at any time for any destination. Please check with a doctor or clinic not less than six weeks before departure to ensure that you meet the necessary requirements.

It is the party leader’s responsibility to ensure that all members of the party are in possession of all necessary travel and health documents before departure. All costs incurred in obtaining such documentation must be paid by you. We regret we cannot accept any liability if you are refused entry on to any transport or into any country due to failure on your part to carry correct documentation. If failure to have any necessary travel or other documents results in fines, surcharges or other financial penalty being imposed on us, you will be responsible for reimbursing us accordingly.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office may have issued information about your holiday destination. Please visit / for further details.
    If you've got a question.
    We've got an answer.